Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I "POaST" about my life 1969 1970 1971 7th and 8th grade

Sorry, this one has two years of school mixed up in it somehow! it's long!!


I like to note the Encyclopedias and the wonderful flowered TV tray, of which we had 4 and had many a meal on our favorite TV trays while watching the television! Sunday nights were my favorite All in the Family with Daddy and Saturdays watermelon and milk shakes while watching something with mom.  Also note the hats on the counter, never worn in the house, never touched by the children!
1970 Family Together With Tom last sunday before Vietnam pretty much sure it was the last time he went to church I remember singing "God Be With You Til We Meet Again" and all of us just bawling. Dad waited at home.

Since I have been married we have moved alot, living in several different places.  Result is our children were in and out of several different schools (one year they attended 4 schools in the same grade!).  Growing up I lived at the same address for my school girl days but for some reason attended two different elementary schools, three different Junior Highs and finally One High School, but high school is a story for later!



In 1969-70 I went to Mesa Junior that was a crazy year.  Moving from Elementary to junior High is a some what traumatizing experience, well it was for me anyway. No more Class Photos! It was the end of some things and the beginning of well, lots of things.  
  • In 4th5thand6th grade I played the flute in band, but when we got to Jr High and because I played a "loaner" instrument 7th grade I was low man on the totem pole I had to take what instrument was left if I still wanted to play in the band.  So...Alto Clarinet was my default choice!
  • I rode the bus to school when I went to Franklin Elementary, but in 7th grade the boundary line was drawn.  If I had lived across the street I could have ridden it, but since I didn't I could not.  The bus driver knew me from elementary school so I couldn't say that I lived elsewhere, besides he wasn't very found of me, Debbie and I had caused some maham on the bus in the 6th grade that he hadn't forgotten.  The reason I even bring this up is the ALTO CLARINET, remember my mom works she often took me in the mornings but I had to walk home in the afternoon let me remind you also about the scorching heat in Arizona! Carting this ridiculous instrument home everyday to practice was suppose to be the rule!  If you know me at all you know this was not my favorite thing and practice was minimal, especially towards the end of the year, maybe on friday I brought it home!  Thus we see NO FIRST CHAIR for me!!!
  • My Bishop was a Math teacher.  This made me very uncomfortable! Nope no other story just a comment in my diary!
  • My english class required lots of reading.  This teacher, liked the SUN she would invite us to take our books and go outside and sit in the sun to read.  eeewwwghh! I've already mentioned the heat.  Plus I hated to read.  I couldn't focus.  I have no image of what I am reading. Maybe that is why in doing this (blogging) I always use pictures!  I Read magazines back to front.  I even today need to read out loud to make myself to pay attention and know what I've read. My reading rules for best understanding are; read it to yourself, Read it again, Read it outloud. Maybe then I will remember, but not for long. Testing then becomes a real problem for me.  That year we were reading H. G. Wells Journey to the Center of The Earth, I have no idea what it said I only remember being made to sit in the sun to read it.
  • Friends shifted this year also.  My friends from Franklin Elementary went to Carson. I had made friends who went with me, but I was so sad to loose Annette and Greg especially.  My friends now, are Nancee, Connee, Sandy and her sister Brenda (two sets of twins completely different from each other) I am very adaptable, I get along with all kinds! Well except at school with my church friends who were a little to squeaky clean for my taste!  I still had of course my girls Jane, Debbie and Sheila but they were students! I don't seem to have really been a student.  I guess this is when I started to rebel!  
  • I didn't really like going to class and this is the year I started to willingly not go to class. I liked both lunches.  I liked DQ. and I didn't like sitting still, Math or reading.  One time I remember getting caught and being sent to the Principle. While in the principal's office, after he called my Mother to come get me and while we waited we took a stroll to the Shop class where the "PADDLE" hung and I was paddled 3 times and before being sent home.  To top this off (from my perspective) Mom was even madder at me than she would have been I think, just because her sister, my Aunt El is here visiting.  It embarrassed her that I had done such a thing.
  • I very very much liked track.  I did pretty good at these events even in the heat. But do not like running long distance, I'm a sprinter that's for sure and I really like long jump.
  • I dance 2 or 3 times a week.  It's right across from the school so that is wonderful. I am involved in recitals and contests and I do well!!!
  • Sandra Sue Anderson was my counter part in all things 7th grade.  I met her in the 2nd grade We didn't like each other at first, me because she was "real good in playing games like kick ball, baseball just everything and that I'm not. She shows me up all the time and beats me up part of the time!" I write in my diary!  One day after school we were having a contest to see who could kick their shoe up on the roof the highest and farthest...mine got stuck up there and Sandys mom made her go up and get it for me (not that I was afraid to climb up there and get it myself!), and we've been friends ever since!  She had a gopher named conrad I was scared to death of it, those girls loved that thing!
    Our friend CD (Cedilla) worked in the office so she got us passes to skip class.  One day we were called to the office, we thought she should go too, so we went and got her from class saying she'd been called to the office also.  When we got there Principle Wheeler said "Oh you were with them too?"  "boy she was mad at us. We just couldn't stop laughing though and that only got us into more trouble.  We got study hall for a week every night after school for 2 (TWO) hours! She went with me to Camp one year - it was a great friendshipping moment in time.  I know she loved it too. She was catholic and her parents very much against her coming to church with me or camp!  I went to church with her a few times. Brenda was quiet, not loud like me and Sandy.  Sandy and I went thru ups and downs good times and bad, but we always came thru with flying colors. When we went into High School we kinda took up different friends and different habits,  she "the Jock" and "me the Dancer"  may have had something to do with it.  But we will always be friends in spirit for her spirit is tender hearted. When I came home from living in California for a visit she is where I went. I felt unconditional love from her and I had will always have that for her. She is my friend forever.

My church has a youth group that I am now attending and they planned a trip to roosevelt Lake, we climbed up to some Indian Ruins I really do like to hike.  We also had a picnic. It was very windy so the picnic was cleaned up quickly and put away and then we started up the mountain.  On the way down the wind was pushing me and I just started to run it was bliss I remember feeling like I was flying and loving every minute of it.  I could mention here that I might have also been trying to keep up with a boy!  The ruff and ragged trail had switch backs the wind caught me, I didn't turn and went from one level of the trail to the next threw the rocks, dirt and cactus! I tore my knee open, it was bad and a very long drive back into the city.  We met mom at the church and she took me directly to the hospital.  It took hours to be done at emergency two shots of anesthesia into my knee and 18 stitches later I was home!  Mother again, not very happy with me, an expense I am sure we couldn't afford.  But me and that Mesa Community hospital we were friends!  I went to dance anyway broke stitches and had to go back it was ugly, I had to stop going to dance for 2 months after that! and then barely caught the end of track.

In the Summer I went with Judyann to Colorado I thought I was hot stuff because she was taking me on vacation with her, Lexie and Janet!  Oh man!  After Flagstaff we saw a couple a guy hitchhikers and she picked them up!!! I was so thrilled and scared to death that she had done such a crazy dangerous thing, this I write; "was the coolest most FarOut thing I'd been a part of"!  I also write about the change in weather; "The thing is I'm so excited by the time we got to flag I was already freezing! I was sticking my head out the window and I loved it, it made my head feel one hundred percent better... we stayed in Blanding, had an ear of corn for breakfast! Grandma did not approve of Judyanns cut offs!!!  Then we left for Durango, got there and waited for Marsha - she never showed and Sis was ticked off.  We drove to a beautiful water fall where I drank some good ole Rocky Mt. Spring water. (on our way from Durango and to Montrose is where we stopped.)  We hiked to those falls and now sis is sore - but I am not!!!  Box canyon so so cool so neat!   While we were hiking sis tore her cut offs.  When we got to Montrose we went to church. The only one who recognized Sis was Rosco Austin, he and his wife new her. They invited us to dinner they have a daughter she's 14.  I remembered when seeing  her the lady who watched me when we lived here and she has a son named Robert as well - I saw them.  My Sister is so cool, I love doing stuff with her!  I wish we could do more stuff together.  I wish we could do more stuff together than just me rubbing her feet!!!"  
I go on ... "We went to Grand Jct. to see her BFF from High School her name was Margarite they went out and left me home to babysit!  I had never seen much less used a dishwasher I was pretty excited about doing the dishes I loaded them up and filled it with Dish soap ... suds started to come out the bottom of the dishwasher!  Water the soap everywhere!  Needless to say the house was spotless even mopped floors when they got home".  Back then I was the best babysitter, and when I did this job I cleaned house, did the dishes and even did wash too! I'm ecstatic that;  "I haven't had a headache since I've been here in this cool air - isn't that neat"?!!!.
We left Margarites and went as far as oh about 20 miles then we stopped for gas and the car wouldn't start so "we went to the head cat there and he got some of those wire things to start it they went from his motor to our motor"!  When it started "We drove as far as well price area, between Price and Thistle and we camped - it was a blast!"
After colorado we went to see Aunt El we stopped "at Idaho Falls (they are beautiful).  The Salmon river is right there in front of the cabin.  We went swimming and fishing.  Holy smokes you have to take a trolley across the river to her cabin if that isn't scary I don't know what is - especially at night!  I caught fish!  Most were too small and Uncle Ross said to throw them back. Over to vegas we went to see Uncle Otis and Aunt Audruff then back home".  It was the most exciting vaca ever.

Eighth grade brings me to a spilt schedule at Carson Jr High.  I couldn't have been more happy.  

  • I can ride the bus now, this school is even farther away.
  • school is NOON to SIX!  Noon to six!!! This is my schedule.  I loved it.
  • Choir. No Band (surprise). and I'm trying to like English it's more writing this year than reading and I really like that.  But Math - no. Track is cool. and Life is FAR OUT!
  • One of my friends got pregnant.  I think I went most of the year without even knowing this.  "We were at a softball game watching Sandy" and this girl was there, mom ask "Is so and so pregnant?" and I remember being agasp - "NO! Of course not!" but she was.
  • I tried out for Young Americans the swing choir of Junior High for next year and I made it!
  • I'm pretty much "in love" with whoever!!! and it seems I just really "wanting" someone to love me.  Ahh, if I could only have known it didn't matter back then and just not had that as a focus.
  • I did really liked going to firesides and my church meetings.
Timmy came home for a visit. In Moms Journal she wrote that he was "fat and has a Chinese mustache"!  I guess things are up in the air for he and Kathy. I hear talk they might be getting a divorce.
Tom in Vietnam he writes and keeps us really posted on his comings and goings unlike his brother! Timmy says "no news is good news". Tom sends letters home every week. I miss him so much and I know mom and Daddy are always so worried about them.  Tom sends me a card from a deck of cards with each letter "when he comes home he will bring me the box."  I love it. I love him.
Karen, Urlene, Betty, Stan, Sister Green, Sandy, Kelly, Mom, Jane and Mary Jepson

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the same organization no matter where you live!  In every journal in February I am getting lists ready and organizing in one way or the other Camp for the Young Women ages 12-18!!!  Lists of certification.  Lists that name YCL's.  Lists that are who will and who won't go as a leader!!  I'm sure other times will show up to tell of camp experience, but I can testify here and now that it molded me as a youth, it left life long experiences with me as to the person I would become ... that of going to camp every year as a teen-ager.  Skills and nature, it's right up there with "NO WAY" and "No HOW" will I ever need to know that, but who knows when we may indeed need to know how to do CPR, start a fire or purify water to drink.  And  ohhhh to be in shape to walk, and run and help those in need.  It's all so critical and we don't even know it!!!
"Went to camp.  It was a great great year.  I love going to camp.  I love the feeling and the spiritual awareness when we are out in the trees.  We had church in the grove and people talked and bore testimony.  The boys came up and passed the sacrament to us - it was so far out!  I love Betty and I am so glad she got to come to camp with us girls. I love the singing and the friends that I make at camp. I am not to good at the crafts but I love the certifying and the JCs - I just want to be them so bad".





When I got home from camp this letter (not my mom) was waiting for me (FYI; this is ICONIC for exactly how I was raised);

Sunday June 13, 1971
My own dear Kelly Sue how thrilled I was to be able to up to visit you at that beautiful place today and how proud to have you be one from that whole group of girls to give a prayer.  It is a choice blessing to have yo participate in such things and to be known for your ability to do so. It was also a pleasure to have you neatly dress in a dress, which tho Too short, was not indecently so and your hose and shoes were in good taste. Oh how my heart swells with love and pride to know the Lord allowed me to be your earthly Mother and have your sweet spirit in my home. It is my heart felt desire to do those things which will enable me to be with you for eternity.
     Betty and Stan are fine young people who are doing everything within their power to live close to the Lord and be blessed with His spirit to guide and direct them that they might do good for their fellow men and particularly for you girls. Do you realize that besides the fact that it is a sacrifice for Betty to be gone from home for the time she is at camp that they spend a lot of money to do things for you. For instance today besides the gas and so on for the car, the chicken salad, etc it cost them about $15.00 out of their own budget. Then to hear Betty say that after at the meeting for cabin mothers where they were told to go to their cabins and kneel in prayer with their group that she couldn't even get her girls together to even deliver a message was a very real disappointment. You, who has the potential to be a real leader of the group were not even there. Now do not misunderstand; Betty was not complaining -- she was feeling that she had not done her due diligence, and I'm sure her heart must have hurt when you made the remark that those girls were really lucky to have such a neat cabin mother as Patty. I very much doubt that even Patty with all her beauty and charm could care more for you and be more concerned for your real and lasting happiness!
     Perhaps you get tired of me telling you what a special person you are and because of being so, that I want so very much for you to try to live worthy of the special blessings meant to be yours. I'm so pleased you are able to go to camp, to have all the opportunities to make friends; both young and old - to learn all sorts of arts and crafts, to sing, to dance, to pray and play with all your camp friends. It is sometimes hard for me to remember that you are not a little child any more and that it displeased you for me to come to camp and be part of your experience and I apologize for intruding on your week of pleasure. Next time, I'll send the treats and the money and stay home - okay?
     You are precious and dear to me and I humbly pray our Fathers blessings for you. Please try to learn to be True to the BEST that is in you.

Mother




Went to Blanding to see grandparents I didn't want to go this time. But "I am glad I did since we got here. Went to the show with Ned and his friends. I Love the Trampoline at Smiths and he is reteaching me to play chess. Went with Lynda on the dirt bikes and walking with aunt Guen.  On Sunday" May 1971 "I got my patriarchal blessing.  It was so humbling. I don't know what to think. I am so excited to some day be a Mom".  



Mom and Daddy went on a vaca - believe me this did not happen but two or three times in my life time!  I stayed with Betty and Stan Abbott. I found out Mom has been reading my diary and is bugging me to keep writing ... she says someday I'll want to remember stuff like when Urlene left or when I went to BYU or Uncle Otis.  She left me a note that said "Remember to say your prayers! The most important thing in this life is keeping close your Heavenly Father.  Be true to Him and to yourself. We will always be proud of you and of our faith in you. We want to trust you. Tho you may wonder about or even question what Daddy or I do or say, please, sweeheart, Never, Never question our very deeep love for you. Lovingly Mother"

No comments: