Saturday, January 29, 2011

Watchmen

Quickly two bits of background ...
ONE...This is George or a cat that looks just like him!  Im not going out to the garage right now to look for attain scan and display a picture I have of George getting his own toilet paper!  (maybe later!)  This cat ran the house.  My Aunt had the bathroom rigged for this cat.  She had no children thus - this was her child.  This cat had a chair in the living room, a seat in the kitchen and I kid you not it's own roll of toilet paper in the bathroom!  I was petrified of this cat as a child. He was a spoiled, scary cat.
TWO...So okay it's 2008 January we've just left some wonderful friends, a family that through example has taught compassion, tradition and the importance and blessings of reading the scriptures as a family.  This month they send their 3rd son on a mission.  This family have watched over and guarded their little ones as to all things spiritual, I admire that. 

Ok that's the background to my inspiration, which goes like this!!!!

We arrived at the daughter-in-laws parents house for warmth and a good nights sleep and then to go forward, returning home after a quick trip out of state. My daughter in laws parents have a cat!  We were all in the living room sleeping. Sleeping bags everywhere.  I could hear it. Then I could see the shadows of it roaming around in the room.  The Christmas was still up, it would weave under it through the branches and behind the couch.  I tried to wake someone, to get someones attention.  I want to protect them and keep them safe "wake up the cat is here!" I would cry!!!   I am trying to protect you wake up! They all ignored me, they snored and grunted and continued to sleep.  I on the other hand exhausted and wanting to sleep, could not because their is a cat on the loose.  I moved to the couch, then to the corner, then to the recliner.  I situated myself there, with just my face exposed in case I nodded off!  I thought of Auntie and her cat how he was possessed and would scratch and hiss if I went anywhere near him or her or his territory.  I thought of this family we had just visited and their son who so many were praying for and watching over.  Then it came to me. We have in our lives people who Watch over us, guardians or WATCHMEN.  Tonight I would be one for my family, keeping them safe from this unruly oh so scary CAT!

In the Old testament it teaches about Watchmen who watch over Israel.  Thus I have a base.  On 911 I totally remember wanting to hear the voice of a Watchman.  That was what I longed for.  David R Stone in 1009 said "But we also have our spiritual hurricane guardians, those whose calling it is to watch and warn, helping us avoid spiritual damage, destruction, and even death. Our watchmen on the tower are known to us as apostles and prophets."  It is taught in the scriptures that the a Prophet is a watchman!!!  How cool is that.  That night in that chair in the living room in the dark I felt an itsy bitsy tad bit ...  how it might feel to want to teach, protect and guard our family and loved ones from the scary things that come out from the darkness at us. I am grateful to know of parents and leaders, families and a Prophet who warn, guard and look after us here in the dark.

1 comment:

e.a.s. said...

I remember this story! (I like the spiritual application.) So I was reading in a parenting book that cats are the easiest pets to have...I wouldn't mind getting one when the kids are older, but I think we'll have to pass so that their Nana will come visit us!