Saturday, March 05, 2011

Silence

I cleaned the house in silence this morning! and afternoon...it did go on and on!  I really don't like all that goes on in my head with all the silence in the house!!!  I thought of so many things to blog about and so many items to get on my soap box concerning, which one ... where to start... what do I have to say about anything really that would be of benefit today?

Let's talk about silence.  My Daddy used to say "Silence is Golden, in other words Shut Up and get Rich"!  Goggled it and did not find it translated this way anywhere!!! But did find the following of interest:

As with many proverbs, the origin of this phrase is obscured by the mists of time. There are reports of versions of it dating back to Ancient Egypt. The first example of it in English is from the poet Thomas Carlyle, who translated the phrase from German in Sartor Resartus, 1831, in which a character expounds at length on the virtues of silence:
"Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves together; that at length they may emerge, full-formed and majestic, into the daylight of Life, which they are thenceforth to rule. Not William the Silent only, but all the considerable men I have known, and the most undiplomatic and unstrategic of these, forbore to babble of what they were creating and projecting. Nay, in thy own mean perplexities, do thou thyself but hold thy tongue for one day: on the morrow, how much clearer are thy purposes and duties; what wreck and rubbish have those mute workmen within thee swept away, when intrusive noises were shut out! Speech is too often not, as the Frenchman defined it, the art of concealing Thought; but of quite stifling and suspending Thought, so that there is none to conceal. Speech too is great, but not the greatest. As the Swiss Inscription says: Sprecfien ist silbern, Schweigen ist golden (Speech is silvern, Silence is golden); or as I might rather express it: Speech is of Time, Silence is of Eternity."
How do you suppose we apply this to our wealth (pun intended) of knowledge?  In silence you find peace.  In silence the heart speaks to you and the mind confirms or vise versa!?!?!  Anyway it is a way for God to answer your prayers of the heart.  I also found today that it is a way to see yourself and analyze choices.  We don't get "Do Overs" in this life, but My hubby and I like to think we get new windows of opportunity, a chance to "do over" a choice or choices previously made.

We are doing alot of that right now, choosing, trading (hopefully trading up with our choices).   In my silence today I thought as it took me an hour to clean the stairs and the foyer that no one will notice, no one will care, no atta girls will be administered yet everyday the kids thank Heavenly Father for Dads job and thank Dad for all his hard work.  I am grateful for the blessings and grateful for the silence today. But tonight I listened to a Matron of the Temple speak of the reverence, the silence of working there day in and day out and I couldn't help but think I am the matron of my home and I am grateful for today's silence and appreciate the blessing of being able to be home to welcome, teach and nurture my family as they come and go even when they don't notice!  My goal in the end is to keep us together for eternity.

1 comment:

e.a.s. said...

I like to think of the jobs no one will notice or care about as "service" jobs--since no one thanks me on earth I'll just have to take my reward in heaven on those ones.