Sunday, January 27, 2013

Grandpa Albert R. Lyman 1963

Albert R. Lyman and Gladys Lyman My Grandparents
Well on the topic of dreams, and probably why I think they are even important is that Grandpa wrote me this letter when I was very young about a dream he had about me.  And believe me he has 100s of namesake to dream about, so I always felt it meant something that he had the dream, and even more that he took the time to share it with me.

Grandma prefaced his letter with one of her own:
Blanding Utah
17 Nov 1963

Dear little grand daughter Kelly Sue,
     This morning I wrote a card to your Mother and this evening Grandpa has written a letter to you.  So I am going to put your Mothers card in your letter and you can give it to her.
     The day before we went to Manti Grandpa had been taking a nap and he awakened quite suddenly and was quite upset.  He said he had been dreaming about you and would like to take you in his arms and tell you how much he loved you -- and to tell you how very much he was concerned about you, and how he hoped that you learned to love the truths of the Gospel and that you would always live them.
    Then he told me about his dream, and said he didn't realize how very much he did love you till he saw you standing alone in his dream in that door way.
     It brought back to ming the dream I had about you and Judyann, and the deep love I felt for you both and the terrible anguish I felt in the dream when Judyann fell into the water. And how I clung to your little hand and felt so terrible that I hadn't hung to Judyann's hand also.
     I am sure that Grandpa loves you and Tommy, Judyann and Timmy just like I do.  and we both pray that our Father in Heaven will always protect you all and help you always to cling to the iron rod so you won't get lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub-cyKa4Tk8
     Do you know the song about the iron rod? and what the iron rod is?  Have your mother or your Father read it to you and tell you more about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55h0FS11Mlw
     Do you know the primary song  "I am a child of God".  Isn't it a beautiful song.  I love it.  I'd like to come see you and have you sing it for me.
     Good night little sweetheart.  Give Tom Philip a big hug for me and tell him to give you one for me too.  

lovingly
grandmother
     

Grandpas dream - and his letter it goes like this:

Blanding Utah November 17th 1963
Dear Kelly Sue:
     I want to take time to tell you about my dream, because it was about you, and I have thought so much of it since then, that I won't be satisfied till I have written about it.  (see he has to write them down too and he was a much wiser man than I)  
     In my dream U was going along a road with your Grandma and your father and mother and you.  We expected to meet somebody at a certain place, but when we got there, nobody was there to meet us, and while we waited we saw a house, and went to it.  Nobody was at home, so we went in and waited.
     When we heard somebody pass by, we went to the door to see who it was, and where they had gone.  We all went outside but you, and I think your other told you to stay in the house.  You didn't want to stay, and as I went out, I told you to leave the door open and you could see us.  We went quite a way from the house, and I looked back and saw you standing in the doorway.
     The people we heard had gone by, and we hurried on to see where they had gone.  As we were about to go out of sight of the house, I looked back and saw you still standing in the open doorway.  I said we shouldn't go away and leave you there, but the others said you would be alright, that we would be going back in just a little while.  But we went on and on, and I was thinking all the time about you there all alone.
     We saw a car stopped some distance away, and we went to it.  Uncle Dan and Aunt Need were in it.  They had been on a long trip, and had their car loaded with a lot of interesting things, and they had a lot of interesting things to tell us.  When we had been listening to them for quite awhile, I remembered with a start that we had left you all this long time there alone in that strange house.  I said: "I;m going back right now to Kelly Sue."
     I started off on the run, the others said they would be coming soon, but I couldn't wait for them.  I found in a little while that I had been going the wrong direction, and I turned around to get right, and got still farther wrong.  I came to where I had to go down a steep hill, so steep that I began to slide, and I dropped down into a dry ditch so deep I couldn't get out of it for a long way.
     I passed people going back and forth in that ditch, and not any of them could tell me where to go.  When I found a place where I could get up over the bank, I just didn't know where I was. I looked all around and thought of Kelly Sue as I had seen you standing in that doorway, and I was just sick thinking about you.

     I thought "She will have come out and tried to sund us, and she can't find us!  And we can't find her!  We can't even find her tracks! And I had got so far away in the hills that I didn't even know how to find that car with Uncle Dan and Aunt Need and the others so we could begin hunting."
     I just wanted to sit down and cry, and I was saying "O my poor little Kelly Sue, why were we so stupid as to leave her standing all alone there in the doorway!"  I felt so terrible about it that I woke up, and it was a great relief to think: "O good -- it was just a dream.  Kelly Sue is safe at home with her father and mother."  And I thought, as I remembered how bad I felt: "I do surely hope Kelly Sue will never be left to wander away and get lost."

Now with love and the best of wishes my dear Kelly Sue, 
I am Grandpa Lyman

What do you think?

No comments: