Monday, January 28, 2013

I "POaST" about my life = 1957


Preface!  

Yes, all you english majors, I know - I DO NOT NEED an exclamation point after preface!!!!!  But throughout this section of blog entries I am certain there will be lots of !!! just like in the scriptures it will probably mean WO WO WO!!!

I have previously documented in this blog format a series entitled;"31 Days of 31 Christmas'"  these 31 blogs are the "history" of our Sobczak Family Life.  My, well "Our" son Amric just left 27 days ago to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he will be gone for 24 months.  For the next 24 months I will "blog" my individual "life History" one year of at a time!  I know, you're thrilled!!!  My only hope is that some day it might matter, I am grateful to have my moms, grandmothers and great grandMothers Histories and privileged to add these (although I don't know if I can print all of this as a book or not?).  So if you follow along every month around the 27th I will update my "history" one more year, I will tag them by year with the labels/keywords. (I have to spell the "rules" out for myself so that I remember!)  The object of this "project" is to help me count down the months, sort thru stacks and stacks of letters, journals and family keepsakes/genealogy info to get my life history finished and keep me positive and productive for the next 24 months until my Amric returns home!!!   and so the story goes....
What big ears I have!

 I was born a poor Red head!!!

as my mother and father described it the "color of a carrot" and so "Loreal"(erase the grey!) and I try to keep it along those same lines to this day!
This is me, in our bath tub I guess, looks more like a metal dish pan! Also note, that my girls are not allowed to put any kind of naked pictures online I hesitate in posting this, but it's my own picture I can embarrass myself - really - it's all about the PAN!1957
This picture is me in a blessing dress that my Aunt El bought me that I also put on Apryl when we all went to the temple to be sealed as a little family.  I still have this dress and hope that someday - well, I don't know what I hope to do with it, but maybe someday someone will wear it again.  I have a metal trunk full of clothes that my mom had from all of us, no one really wants them, but I can't seem to part with them, it seems rude and disrespectful, Plus they are like antiques!  Speaking of antiques this chair I'm sitting on is one that was made of maroon, redish velvet!  My Aunt El had a living room set with a couch and this chair - I do in fact remember this furniture and will tell you more stories about this as we go along. Lets just say George, the Siamese cat and I could not sit on this furniture together!!!
Blessing dress
hand croquette blanket Auntie made for me, also still have it!
So... I have a story for you. . .  When my mother got pregnant she was told that she could not carry me.  She had had 2 or 3 miscarriages before Timmy, so she knew that loosing a pregnancy was always possible for her, every pregnancy she had was hard for her and put her life in danger. To add to this the she was going to be 42 when I was to be born and they didn't have all the information, equipment and skills that they have today.  She said she wanted to try and carry the baby anyway. She started hemorrhaging off and on and then more and more.  The Doctors told her to abort the mission!!!  She choose not to (obviously!!!) she had the priesthood from our church come to the house and give her a blessing.  While they were there they issued her a call to be the Primary President, (the primary is the organization in the church that leads, teaches, sings, has activities with these children who are ages 18 months - thru 11 years.  She accepted.  My Dad I understand was supportive.  Maybe as time went on Judyann would support her too but as I understand in the beginning not so much!!!  Mom got pretty sick and was put on bed rest. Judyann ended up doing all household chores.  Mom asked the Bishop to release her feeling that she couldn't do the Primary calling any more.  

This is a letter written by grandma to remind of the miracle it is that "I" even was born and to keep me focused!  Thank you Grandma.




The Bishop gave her a Blessing in it he told her that "if she would keep the Primary calling she would be blessed to deliver a healthy baby no matter the circumstance".  So mom being faithful, kept the call.  Judyann kept doing the chores and the men kept being the men!  Tom 7 years older than I and Timmy 14 years older than I, (big difference), Judyann 12 years older than me.  So we were kinda spread out.  Anyway...Mom gave birth to me!  I was born!  the miracle is .... the Doctor reported that I had been carried this whole time without the availability of a whom and that is why mom had kept bleeding so much.  She said that they always wondered what in the blessing was meant by the words "no matter the circumstance".  So she always said I was a miracle baby and thus she expected from the very beginning alot from me.  It was a constant annoyance, let me just say that!!!!  But now, as I have a family and I miss my mom so much I thank Mom and Dad for their willingness to deliver and to God for even being here!

INTRODUCING --


My brother Tom Philip (named after our grandpa Tomney):
Tom 1956
Tom 1957
Tom says; "I don't really remember anything except you were born the same day that LUCKY SOCKS (A buckskin colt we had) was born!"
Disney's
Mickey Mouse Club in 1957

In the World ...


Buddy Holly and the crickets recorded the number 1 hit right before my birthday in  1957  "That'll be the day"

The world forever be changed with the introduction and flight of Sputnik...

In the Church  - During 1957 October 

The semiannual general conference was canceled due to a flu epidemic.
General conference canceled because of flu epidemic.
Church Membership at end of year: 1,488,314
New Converts : 71,583
Percent Change from previous year: 5.05%
[Spencer W. Kimball] Undergoes an operation for cancer of the throat; one and one-half vocal cords are removed.

A note mom had; List of people who came to visit Mom and I at the Hospital when I was born;
Daddy, Ella Arthur, Betty and Marj Lindsay, Harriet Harrison, Marquerite Harrison, Celia Hampton, Eve Lee, Ila David, Cherrill Jones, Myrtle Daily, Bill and Leona, Afton Clark (moms BFF), Arthella and Berk, Mary Morris.  
Gifts; Dress, Gloves, darning needles, tube for a radio, yarn to tie a quilt, milk strainers, lining for a quilt, and cleaner.

No comments: