Friday, February 04, 2011

Who were you before you were 6? Is it who you are today???


Ok so (you like how I start every thought with ok so?!?!?!?!)
Yesterday I wrote about trust and made the comment that "they say" we have formed our personality by the time we are 6, so today my mind has been reeling thinking about experience that shows that this plays out and what I've come up with is that it is really true, but in addition we are who we are by the time we are 6 because of our parents or our environment! take for instance;

I was talking to my husband about what he remembers about life before the age of 6. One thing we came up with is that we were both raised on a farm over 20 acres up until the age of 4 ... our whole married life we have searched for a way to live on 20 acres!  We have NO IDEA how to do that because at the age of 4 we both moved off the farm and into the city!

Huby says he only remembers a very few things from that time period.  One; crazy uncles with guns! Two; his home burning to the ground because his Dad was burning trash in the basement!!!   He says he doesn't remember anything else from that time in his life.  To this day he tends to block out things he can't control.

I can remember the dogs eating my dolls in the chicken coup.  The killer dog that my little brother had, his name was relish and he was kept tied up to the loading shoot cuz he ate the chickens.  I remember chasing the sheep.  The long walks down the canal bank following behind my dad and my brother, throwing rocks into the water trying to imitate Opie on the Andy Griffith show! I remember the big tree in the front yard and the asparagus in the ditch in front of the house.  Then BAM, I remember leaving that euphoria and my dad leaving "Gobby", my favorite dog running down the highway behind us as we drove away from the farm moving to the city...seriously I literally remember looking out the back window crying for that lonesome, abandoned, friend!   To this day I have abandonment issues and I'm not sure if I hold on to everything or if I hold on to nothing (tangible that is) I hold on to people too to two TIGHT!!!!!

who were you before you were 6?  What are your memories? Is it who you are today???

No comments: