Monday, January 31, 2011

are you an advocate for the devil?

I heard the question today "Why would you want to be the devil's advocate?"
Now I've heard this in conversation before, I've probably said it myself.  But today I wondered ... why would you?  The devil wants us to be dark, fearful, question everything about ourselves and our lives around us, he wants contention, depression, darkness well I could go on.  Thus my quote on facebook today which reads; "that which does not edify is not of God".  I'm not sure about how crazy personal I want to get on this blogging thing yet, but today I guess since this is my goal to rid myself of paper and "declutter" ... well this is where I write tonight! 
I ask myself what does it mean to be edified?  To learn, to educate, to uplift are a few things that come to mind.  So as I go about my day what would I be doing to be an advocate for the devil?  My daughter and I have been tossing around the word "Television"!, (that and fast food are my down fall!!! but that is another entry for another day).   Well we have decided that if the TV show is depressing we are going to stop watching it!  Constantly filling my mind with stories of people who are devils advocates who never get their love right who kill, cheat, and steal probably shouldn't be my constant, probably don't give me edification! 

quote by Coleen Menlove
Fear can paralyze us if we allow it. Satan promotes fear that he might have power over us.
Satan also promotes darkness. In both Lehi’s and Nephi’s dreams, darkness in the form of a mist confused some and caused them to lose sight of the tree of life (see 1 Ne. 8:23; 1 Ne. 12:4). Darkness was part of the Prophet Joseph Smith’s experience in the grove just before he was instructed by God the Father and Jesus Christ (see JS—H 1:15–16). Many have allowed darkness to keep them from the love of God. Satan’s way is to confuse and discourage or, at the very least, distract us from doing what Heavenly Father would have us do.
As we replace fear with faith and then demonstrate our humility, we are blessed with a feeling of peace. Lisa said: “Peace finally came after I was sustained and set apart. I felt a little excitement, but not without caution and humility close behind. I began to gain greater insight into the love our Savior and Heavenly Father have for me. It is a deeply felt love I have experienced.”
The Lord trusts and loves us enough to want to use us in blessing the lives of others. What a wonderful feeling of peace and joy that knowledge can bring! In Helaman we read, “Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in my Well Beloved” (Hel. 5:47).

I can face it.  I can have peace. I am replacing fear with faith and emptiness with service!!!

1 comment:

Angie Larkin said...

Here here! I'm so glad you started bloggin'! It is so true. T.V. can be such a fun release and escape, but can be such a sucker of life at the same time. I always walk that fine line. I wanted to tell you I started a blog about doing HCG. I'm almost positive I'm crazy, but here I am none the less! angieonhcg.blogspot.com