Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Better Youth Require Better Teachers -Scott

Yeah!!!! a new month!!! Month 2 February!!!! over 30 years.... In looking over my "paper" Feb 1st, this is what I find...
"Here and there, and now and then, God makes a giant among men.  President Hinckley such a GIANT - a giant of knowledge, of faith, of testimony, of compassion of vision".    -President Monson 2008

Tips for teaching Seminary (and I like to think teaching the kids at home);
  1. teach students not lesson
  2. let the spirit do the teaching
  3. teach by the spirit, the teacher must live worthy of the spirit
  4. Scriptures invite the spirit into the hearts of the students
  5. Teach Pure Doctrine
  6. Live to learn, learn to love and you'll love to live.
  7. Stay on Course
  8. Don't let  Satan undermine your worth.
In correlation with these thoughts. Since writing this blog summing up January I see a couple of things have happened that I'd like to record. 
  • the missionaries from the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints came for dinner and challenged me to pray for 30 min. and then listen for answers.   I did it. It is awesome. God hears and answers prayers.  I didn't think I could even pray that long but I did, I prayed longer.
  • I started to teach the 6 year olds in Primary.  I was so scared.  Really me scared to teach?!?!?  I was. I still am, but I have been praying about it naming the kids individually and waiting and listening - it's been such a great experience.  They don't sit still, the seem hyperactive!  But then I don't have 6 year olds at home everyday anymore!!!  The last lesson I taught said to share a video with the class.  I found the video I watched it - it's a story of how the church was restored.  It is a religious story, not a cartoon, religious hymns in the background not catchy tunes.  I 'm thinking these kids are not going to sit still for this.  In short I was prepared, I took the DVD to show, I said We are going to watch this thinking if they don't sit still and if they get bored i will just turn it off and we will do something else.  I think my faith was lacking!!  These little kids knelt down and gathered and reverently were entranced in this story.  They made comments about the music that it was their favorite that they loved this kind of music and that they were so proud of Joseph Smith trying to tell people even though they laughed at him and were mean to him.  They were reverent. The spirit was strong and testified to us all that the world doesn't teach (it influences) but it doesn't teach.
  • Reading my paper, recognizing history and admitting it has changed and helped me. I can see changes in me already.  Both reminding myself that I learned something and maybe had fallin' away from it. Or admitting that for years I have had the same goals so now is the time to move on it. Makes me grateful I kept a record and more happy and grateful to have a wonderful husband and the most greatest kids in the whole wide world.
  • the missionaries also challenged us to set up a profile on mormon.org to better chat with the world and share my testimony and I also did that.
  • But Jan has been a great month for family history.  I am doing a little bit everyday and working hard to find real people and sure up real family ties on ancestry.com.  I am using this season for all things Family search! having only a handful of family member left in this world really makes Malachi's word real in my life I do have a heart that turns to my father in looking for family connections.
this is my life. this is what I do and this is my quest, to leave a family heritage for those I love for eternity.

No comments: