Spirituality and prayer for the month of May has brought to my mind and heart my testimony, questions of faith and the reminder that we need to be those people others can hold on to during their storms; we are often called on to be "angels" to help others. It's much easier to do this IF we are getting to know each other before the storms come.
In May my Happiness Project was to seek Spiritual experiences Faith and Prayer seem to be what I wrote about last in my blog. I can't tell you how amazed I am at how these topics fit together with my life as it is happening.
I have been gone for 2 months. I went to stay with my daughter who was having my 9th babygrand! So without my computer I switched over to the paper version bought a whole new planner and really kept some good records, thoughts and well I did my Happiness Project the same but different. Now I am home and I am reading my last blog entry, recognizing without remembering or knowing I WAS and AM on the same track - I love it! #MyHappinessProject is working and I am finding My Happiness!
"Faith Must be accompanied by action or it isn't faith at all." https://www.lds.org/ensign/2017/04/the-just-shall-live-by-faith?lang=eng
Last week we were asked to talk about what we learned while we lived in SR first ward! So as I sat in Sacrament mtg, after not being there for 2 whole months I observed and searched to "feel" something, asking myself that question.
Then during the week I fasted and prayed about a direction to go and was led to a talk by President Hinckley. https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2001/04/the-miracle-of-faith?lang=eng Today I pray that I can say something that will bless all of us who read or re read this later a faith promoting, testimony growing life experience. (I don't ask for much do i?)
Just to be clear I am looking for more spirituality in my life but I need to say upfront I have a testimony I haven’t said that alot lately, I think maybe I’ve felt a bit stifled and like I haven’t had “visionary” testimony experiences so I have remained quiet. I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon, of A Prophet on the earth today, Of Prophets being in the scriptures just as much in the Bible as in the Book of Mormon and in our present day. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that because of His atonement I am given the agency to repent. The Holy Ghost the third member of the Godhead has confirmed these things to me in my heart and in my mind. I also know without a shadow of doubt, that Heavenly Father placed us here to learn and to grow. Now it’s time for us to move on, it’s bittersweet. I totally love where we live. I can see where I have gotten a little lax with my testimony and my service, I blame it on the Island life of where I live!!! It’s been a tuff transition for me going from being a full time mom to being a retired mom. I’ve struggled lets just say that. When you feel your worth is one thing be it a teacher, a provider, or a mom when that one thing is over, well as I said - I've struggled. But I have come to believe that Heavenly Father does not want me to be a "One Hit Wonder"! That none of us are one hit wonders. The thought of moving has kicked me into gear, why you ask? Because I want something from Heavenly Father and when that happens you or at least I start to self examine. Because of that I am asking myself what is faith? I am asking myself this for a few reasons I won’t take the time to go into here but I am grateful for the opportunity this project has given me to do my research asking myself who has "it" and how does "it" get expressed? President Hinckley said “Faith is evidenced in all we DO…Faith is the basis of testimony. Faith underlies loyalty to the church. Faith represents sacrifice, gladly given in moving forward the work of the Lord.”
In May Richard and I went on a little drive toBluffUtah. It’s in South East corner of Utah - a place where my great grandparents were sent by Brigham Young to settle and build the kingdom. We went away asking ourselves why? Why were they sent there? In the Present day there is a fort there now where they lived that is a mission, a visitors center there lives are still being lived there in this little tiny dirt town. These were pioneers, my first ancestors to join the church and come from wales and end up following the prophets call to settle that corner of Utah. Now to me that is FAITH, it is also A move of choice because of their faith. Neil L. Anderson said in 2015 https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2015/10/faith-is-not-by-chance-but-by-choice?lang=eng “Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is not something floating loosely in the air. Faith does not fall upon us by chance or stay with us by birthright. It is, as the scriptures say, “substance …, the evidence of things not seen.”Faith emits a spiritual light, and that light is discernible.Faith in Jesus Christ is a gift from heaven that comes as we choose to believe and as we seek it and hold on to it. Your faith is either growing stronger or becoming weaker. Faith is a principle of power, important not only in this life but also in our progression beyond the veil.By the grace of Christ, we will one day be saved through faith on His name. The future of your faith is not by chance, but by choice.”
My husband is our families first pioneer, because I am moving and packing I ran across a letter he wrote to our son "The (power) of the priesthood has become an extension, like having an extra arm. It has become a part of me. I know that by being worthy and having the priesthood, anything can be done. It is having that knowledge, a strong faith, a desire to do right, and a willingness to serve that will ultimately bring you happiness." It made me so happy to read this letter, to hear and recognize my husbands testimony and to remember the importance it was to him and our son at that time on his 12th birthday. And it's and additional layer of happiness because today is the 12th bday of our oldest grandson. I invite you to write down how you feel about, what your testimony is of the priesthood, or anything that you really believe in. From My man I’ve learned so much, but lately my favorite thing I’ve learned is his words “if you are afraid to or just don’t take the time to talk to people you come to church with how do you expect to talk to people in the neighborhood, store, office, school or the world, going to church is is suppose to be our safe space.” I love that!!! Thank you hon for being my pioneer of faith.
What I've learned from the people I go to church with while I've lived here...
- I went with Debbie Merriman to visit all kinds of people in all kinds of places it was exciting she showed me the ease and importance of meeting people knocking on doors and visiting with people that might be lost or that we just hadn’t met yet. I'll never forget that and always appreciate her for dragging me along with her.
- Saundra and Sister Wixom showed me how import it is to invite people into your home making them feel welcome.
- The Jones Family showed me thru their actions the importance of speaking to people at church and even at the dairy queen bringing new members to church.
- I have phone anxiety I'm afraid to call on it or answer it! - I know Lame! but Emily Barnett visit taught me with friendship and heart allowing me to feel the ease and the importance of said friendship enough that I actually got the nerve to call her for a favor and she stepped right up.
- I grew up and married living in the same ward for 25 years, it's made me sad that I have not had that to raise my kids. But! We've seen and learned somethings and more importantly met people, that in one way or another changed improved influenced our lives. It's ok to move around and I've started to think … we live on the 3-4 year mission transfer schedule!!! Recently My son told me "and that's ok mom!"
- One of the most spiritual best meetings I've ever been to was the frank and humble patriotic talks given by brother Donohue and Quezada
- We watched and observed Justin Yeates be a great home teacher and example to his son. I can see he will be great with the youth
- Deann Fendlay showed me that being in the nursery is a wonderful place to be
- From this ward I learned to love and Really enjoy the music between meetings more should participate and really sing while just the teachers leave quietly! for Primary and sunday school. Last week we sang Hymn 302
1. I know my Father lives and loves me too.
The Spirit whispers this to me and tells me it is true,
And tells me it is true.
2. He sent me here to earth, by faith to live his plan.
The Spirit whispers this to me and tells me that I can,
And tells me that I can.
- I hope we listen when we can and then "Do" remember - Faith is an action word.
- Bonnie Walker ❤️ what a rock a spiritual rock and example to me an example of a great mom and wife.
- Michelle a pioneer in the gospel herself she’s so good for me. I grew up in the church so I loved being with her and seeing her perspective and the importance of service in the community paralleled with her service in the ward not just One or the other.
- Testimony and endurance from sister chambers
- Hovendens throw great parties and as a ward we are blessed to be invited
- But mostly I hope I've learned The importance of having a calling and doing it not shutting down and hiding out. Seeing the importance and order of the "organizations" in the church and not having paid positions.
- Seasons of life move quickly to figure them out don't wait for something different or "better" in your own mind keep moving forward with Faith.
- Been very grateful that the bishop kept My man busy and involved, it meant more to me than anything these last few years. When you have adult children and they go away and are in other wards where they aren’t used and don’t have callings and you see them slip away. Words just can't express the heartache and sadness that brings to a mom. I have a testimony of the importance of serving.
The faith of my pioneer ancestors to give service even with sacrifice. I have failed at this in my need to lick the wounds of my children actually growing up and leaving home I had told a friend, Sister Redding that when I come back from my daughters this time I will be all in and now I’m leaving I want her to know it was important for me to say that to her outloud and to be accountable and I pray that all of us will move forward in faith like those of the first pioneer in our family and be accountable say it out loud; "I AM ALL IN".
Pres Hinckley said; “Pioneers journey to the valley of the great salt lake is an epic without parallel. Their journey to the valley of the Great Salt Lake is an epic without parallel. The suffering they endured, the sacrifices they made, became the cost of what they believed.
I have in my office a small statue of my own pioneer grandfather burying beside the trail his wife and her brother who died on the same day. He then picked up his infant child and carried her to this valley.
Faith? There can be no doubt about it. When doubts arose, when tragedies struck, the quiet voice of faith was heard in the stillness of the night as certain and reassuring as was the place of the polar star in the heavens above.
…It is the faith within us that is evidenced in all we do.”
In conclusion of my May Spiritual thru Prayer thought here today, I want to remind us we don't know who is watching us, the impressions we are making. We don't know who may be listening or reading our posts, tweets or instagram. Imagine we are pioneers - for aren't we when it comes to technology? In 150 plus or minus years what will be said about our FAITH when the posts are being read? Let us endure- It is my righteous desire to have "No empty chairs" when is comes to my family on the other side of the veil.