Thursday, May 04, 2017

May 2017 MyHappinessProject Spirituality and Prayer

#itswhereilive
It is amazing to me how very much all of this is fitting together, how topics and "goals" set back in October can be right on and very on topic in the month that they pop up!  It is true that you have to think something before you can do it, for me anyway and when it is a thought it applies to everything around you from interactions with others to TV from Talks to articles in the news from relationships to your belief system all things have been affected or at least noticed by topic monthly during this project of mine.  This month the Main topic is Spirituality and the sub topic Prayer

I've been noticing on social media many quotes on FAITH in the last week and I had noted to myself in my Happiness Project Book under this May heading to revisit a talk given in 2016 by Elder Uchtdrof  this little story jumped out at me as I read it yesterday; 

Faith is a strong conviction about something we believe—a conviction so strong that it moves us to do things that we otherwise might not do. “Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”2
While this makes sense to believing people, it is often confusing to nonbelievers. They shake their heads and ask, “How can anyone be certain of what they cannot see?” To them, this is evidence of the irrationality of religion.
What they fail to understand is that there are more ways to see than with our eyes, more ways to feel than with our hands, more ways to hear than with our ears.
It’s something like the experience of a young girl who was walking with her grandmother. The song of the birds was glorious to the little girl, and she pointed out every sound to her grandmother.
“Do you hear that?” the little girl asked again and again. But her grandmother was hard of hearing and could not make out the sounds.
Finally, the grandmother knelt down and said, “I’m sorry, dear. Grandma doesn’t hear so well.”
Exasperated, the little girl took her grandmother’s face in her hands, looked intently into her eyes, and said, “Grandma, listen harder!”  
It jumped out at me for different reasons than you might think! When my mom was alive, in her later years we teased her that she had "selective hearing"!  My son got her a badge or a pin that said "Speak Up".  
This little story reminded me of that, and like I said everything comes back to this project these days. . . my thought then was to ask myself am I or can we be
spiritually selective about our hearing?  
So this month I am going to strive to not put away spiritual things.  I tend to choose TV over books, Facebook over scriptures and definitely take the personal out of the conversation although I do support the whole text vs phone (there is that word again FEAR) why don't we write letters or send cards any more vs comment on IG Twitter or FB? There is something mindful, fulfilling and yes, spiritual about writing it down. Just today I ran across a note that my granddaughter slipped into my things that made me "feel something, personal even spiritual" it said; "Nana I love you and I'll miss you. Be careful, Remember who you are and keep your head up. bye  ..."  Brings me to tears again. How can we not be spiritual when it comes to loving, including and listening to our Family? 
spir·it·u·al
ˈspiriCH(o͞o)əl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
    "I'm responsible for his spiritual welfare"

Of course spiritual can be applied also in religious beliefs as well. 
       2.
     relating to religion or religious belief.
"the tribe's spiritual leader"
synonyms:religioussacreddivineholynonsecularchurchecclesiasticalfaith-baseddevotional 

I reference the following for that part of my quest for this month of May;

No comments: