Friday, March 18, 2011

Delia

March 17 holds a few memories of people for me.

One my friend's Annette Harrell, her birthday is March 17.  I remember taking her a birthday present in the 5th grade.  How do I recall this memory?  My mom cautioned me that we would be out of place going to her house, I did not understand that at all.  She is my friend, why does it matter what color she is!?!?  Mom did drive me over to her neighborhood and we were starred at by each and every neighbor as we drove down the street in our Chrysler New Yorker!  I just never really understood or stand today why color is stereotyped, an issue, or defining moment.  But in my memory this is one of those moments, I can still to this day see that street in my mind and remember that it was awkward, that I wasn't invited in and that She was indeed one of my best friends. We laughed and played and studied together, at school...but NOT at home in our different neighborhoods and lives.  Later ... I loved to go to the school dances,I loved dancing with Clarence and Greg, (yes, we were judged and still starred at - this was in High School and these were my friends from elementary school I missed them),  the friendships were real.  Time has taken that all away but memories don't fade.  Please, don't judge people, it's not our job!
My goodness time does fly!


20plus years ago I met the Lebeuf family!  I was immediately endeared to Delia!  She lived with us off and on, her Dad was a single parent.  She is a fun and ambitious young woman now.  Back then she was a giggly, skinny, feisty, lovable tiny little girl!  She led in the family to do chores, to pray and to be loving and supportive of each other.  Our movie favorites were Romeo and Juliet (leo version), That thing you do, and Beauty and the Beast.  We also grew up with Dawson's Creek and 7th Heaven!  How's that for opposite ends of the media scale! 
We had the best Family Home Evening's and she always took part and would hug me and say someday "mom" I want this too!  She didn't like to read, or do math and yet she has turned out to be a wonderful student and she is a great worker, mother and wife.  She is family and I love her.  She was great to help me with Aj and Amric she was boy crazy and very much like Apryl Ann did not appreciate her father embarrassing her at school or in front of her friends!!!  Once he went to pick them up from school in his tall black rubber boots!  They choose to walk home, rather than get in the truck with him!!! teenagers!  She and Austin had a great "love hate" realtionship!  Being the same age they competed with lots of things from games to friends from who cleans up to who doesn't!!!  I've had different kids in the house over the years but Delia, well she's ours!!  And Real and Sherri they are ours too!!!!
May I speak first about the courage to refrain from judging others. Oh, you may ask, “Does this really take courage?” And I would reply that I believe there are many times when refraining from judgment—or gossip or criticism, which are certainly akin to judgment—takes an act of courage.
Unfortunately, there are those who feel it necessary to criticize and to belittle others. You have, no doubt, been with such people, as you will be in the future. My dear young friends, we are not left to wonder what our behavior should be in such situations. In the Sermon on the Mount, the Savior declared, “Judge not.” At a later time He admonished, “Cease to find fault one with another.” It will take real courage when you are surrounded by your peers and feeling the pressure to participate in such criticisms and judgments to refrain from joining in.
I would venture to say that there are young women around you who, because of your unkind comments and criticism, are often left out. It seems to be the pattern, particularly at this time in your lives, to avoid or to be unkind to those who might be judged different, those who don’t fit the mold of what we or others think they should be.
The Savior said:
“A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another. …
“By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”3
Mother Teresa, a Catholic nun who worked among the poor in India most of her life, spoke this truth: “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” Thomas S. Monson

Today she is happily married and has so many families watching out for her from her Mother, Dad and StepMom, to Todd's family and back to Us!  She is loved and prayed for.  Happy Birthday Delia we love you.

1 comment:

Apryl said...

Love you Delia!