Monday, February 28, 2011

who should play?

Church Basketball! I haven't seen this movie, but after reading this paper journal entry I have to admit I'm curious!!
 Feb 22, 1990 Last night we went to watch the boys play Bball.  My old Stake President was the coach of the team that played our boys.  He played boys that weren't members of the church while boys from his own ward sat on the bench...hummm I wonder why!!!???  After the game I heard the man say to his boys "Win at ALL cost...", the Bishop of that ward knew that they bent the rules this way and brought in "ringers!".  Am I just weird that I think it shows no integrity, that it teaches everyone concerned to be bad sports, to not be honest and for men to not have any ethics?  After living in Vancouver for so long and hearing President Shriener not support sports...well lets say I remember when hubby came home from a meeting he'd been to and told this story... Pres. S asked the men if they wanted a sports program, they all raised their hands in support.  He asked who did their home teaching, I guess not so many hands went up!  He said "When we have 100% Home Teaching, we will have a sports program".  His thought he explained was "if you don't have time to Home Teach, you must not have time for sports!!!"    It's been a lesson that sticks in my brain!!!  So tonight I am reminded people are always watching.  When we were leaving the hall my hubby seemed abit bothered, but still made the comment "It's just a game".  We talked about it with some old friends who were there and they asked up who we think we are? ..."pretty self righteous" a friend said to me.  You know I thought the days of peer pressure were over.  But I guess not!

No comments: