Saturday, February 12, 2011

I Need Roots

I had an epiphany this morning while we were at the church cleaning.  First I was thinking I should have brought my ipod...for goodness sakes I needed noise, it was so quiet and I was mopping and washing toilets (i don't even like washing my own- I needed music!).  But then I said to myself "self use the time wisely, listen in the quiet for the stillness and peace and inspiration that you need"!  Yes I do talk to myself, ask anyone in the family!!!  These are the words that came to mind "I need Roots"!  so what exactly does that mean???  So Quickly I have been searching for the inspiration that is my answer.


Can you see in the center a tiny Christmas cactus root?
This is the beginning of a root.  The slightest help will encourage and lift this tiny green spirit of a thing into a beautiful Christmas cactus.  I don't really have a green thumb.  But I have had so many family members die off on me that I have a pretty good collection of plants now.  I remember one time we moved from my roots in Arizona and I was excited and young and happily starting out a new married life on my own away from my mom and dad and family members. But I was happy and excited to plant new roots and bloom.  It was a great and wonderful wonderful experience and I (WE) made friends with people that 20 years later we still call friends and the Parkers are more family.  Then another time we moved and I felt like my roots had been ripped up out of the ground.  That I was submitting if you will to the mandates of the huby!  We lost our home, our reputation, our friends, our roots oh and that was the year I lost a Brother, and my sister in death.  Once or twice we've moved before we even had a chance to make any roots!

Then there was that one time that I thought I had completed my moves and we even dug a hole for a pool, a trampoline and planted a tree, I thought for sure this time we had found our roots.  Yet again we followed the dreams of the self employed the wind blowing our roots away, as they had not yet taken to the dry ground.  This is the year my oldest brother died and his daughter reappeared after 30 years demanding she had his roots and that his mother nor I had any roots (or ties or bound to him) and sprayed poison all over to keep us out (that's my green speak for she got the guns the lawyers and wrote nasty letters!!!). She took it all.

This last time, I had found heaven.  I had rebuilt friendships.  I was surrounded by trees and grass and the temperature was pretty medium (not too hot, not to cold).  It wasn't perfect (the house a disaster needing home repairs that believe you me, we do not do nor should ever attempt to again), it maybe wasn't celestial heaven worthy - but pretty close.  I never went a day without saying thank you God for this place.  The huby tried to move us 2 or 3 times.  I told him once "you go work wherever you want, come home when you can.  Me and the kids - well, we live here!"  After we had really planted some roots this time from the youngest to the oldest - it was time to move again.  In support, and yet in sadness the family supported the job yet again and we packed up the home BUT this time transplanted ourselves to a new place. 
This was the year my mom died. 

That was bittersweet she has been transplanted to another degree of life.  She left for us the beginnings, the roots we are her transplants.  Because of her we have life, and she will want a report, full disclosure of what we have planted, how we have bloomed, if we dug deep enough, plowed, weeded, worked hard enough to not get blown away, nourished our roots to bloom in Heaven.

Does BLOG mean "SHORT"? 
to be continued...


1 comment:

Write for the generations! said...

So I bought a new pot and potting soil and transplanted moms plant from her funeral! It's grown like crazy. Ahh that we could grow and flourish and everyday give new life to the air that we breath. I am so grateful for my mother and the breath of life she gave and is still giving to me.