Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I "POaST" about my life .... Festivals ...



 The Dance Festivals

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints


When I was ages 12 - 18 the Mutual organization I went to every week (youth group) held Speech Festivals, Roadshows (mini plays that traveled from church building to church building) and dance festivals that I could be involved in.  I loved it, I really did. I liked giving talks I was in speech classes always in junior High and High School, believe it or not I had a memory back then and memorized speeches that were informative, poetic, drama driven, and testimonial.  The roadshows were super fun and drove our leaders crazy because getting thru each and every practice might have driven them a little insane!!!  But the Dance Festivals they were huge back then and even traveled to Salt Lake - it was Clean outta sight!!!

Roadshow
When the boys and girls are 12 they participate in dances such as Square Dancing and line dances!  I was highly insulted because I wanted to dance with the Boys!  But the guidelines are such in the Church that boys and girls dance together after they can date! Well that abit exaggerated group saturday night dances are held and can be attended when you are 14!  It sounds absolutely ridiculous writing it out here but thems the rulz and I lived and died by them, or I didn't!

this is me when I was in the all girls square dance the pic on the right is Sheila, me and Deb

All I can tell you is these activities hold great memories and bonds with people I may never see again but influenced me for eternity friends and leaders that went and still go the extra mile to serve, teach and go the extra mile.   If you have the opportunity to either be in one of these as a youth or a leader I suggest you jump on it #ShareGoodness!   I had the best time dancing, I loved it no matter when where or how.  I may have mentioned that a few times in this life story of mine. (well maybe not I note here that it is not already a search/label word I need to go and fix that!!!).   Dancing was my life from as long as I can remember and thru my college years.  Anyway...I regress....

We danced both of these dance festivals at the Sun Devil Stadium and some groups were chosen to go to Salt Lake and perform, I went one year to watch.  It was most exciting.

Bobby, me, Sheila, Deb (why do you have curlers in your hair?!), Jane, Leslie,Susan,Danny,Christine,David,Lyle,Timmy,Terry and Eldon
Pretty cool I did that without making it bigger or looking them up!

 THESE ARE MY PEOPLE!


I do not know why Urlene isn't in the group pic, maybe she was younger and they had a different group.



No comments: