Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I "POaST" about my life ... 73-74 Junior Year!

Music; In addition to the perfect music already listed in 71-72 blog; Babs, Abba, Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, The Jackson 5
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivYzpTDc4A0&list=PLBCE7A9F9D30DD790

TV; Rockford Files, Brady Bunch, Mash, Hawaii Five 0, Bob Newhart, Kojak, All in the Family, Happy Days, and American Band Stand to name a few off the top of my head! 

Movies; THE WAY WE WERE, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, The GodFather, The Great Gatsby and James Bond! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivYzpTDc4A0&list=PLBCE7A9F9D30DD790


So this is the year of "throw my hands up in the air"! It looks as if in my journals that school is taking a second fiddle to dance and boys and that dance and boys are bumping each other off every now and then!   Ricky and I started dating. Ricky started taking the missionary discussions and chose to be baptized.  That night, it was like a dream, I felt like we were floating.  The baptism seemed hazy, only at the time I thought it was because he was sad that he'd chosen the church and me over his parents and his siblings.  The program was nice. The spirit light and I thought inspirational.  When he came out after getting dressed into his dry clothes he just burst out in tears and hugged me and really cried. Like I said I thought he was sad his parents didn't come or something. He attended Youth Conference and all the extra youth activities, but often seemed to be late for or not at Church at all. How'd I miss that?   He was controlling and jealous, I was flattered he cared enough to be so. Looking back, I did talk to and flirt, but in an effort to find someone who loved me.  Thus we see; I guess I felt I deserved this treatment. I really just loved life and wanted to play and do things, he never saw it that way. Being just a tiny bit afraid of my Daddy, I am thinking now, that might have made me think I was suppose to be just a tiny bit afraid of my boyfriend.  WARNING WARNING WARNING: Don't go steady in high school, don't tell one boy that you love him and make your priorities something that you will ever sooner or later regret, you know - just go to class and be honest virtuous and trustworthy.  Remember this; that I believe in High School you are creating a PATTERN for the rest of your life. Make it a pattern that fits and doesn't need altering, And if it now needs altering the atonement is a great Tailor thru Jesus Christ...and that's all I've got to say about that.  
  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coef8G5ax6E

I've had a job since I was 12 doing one things or another ... mom made me walk around selling Christmas cards personalized with  embossed lettering - door to door when it was 120 degrees in August!, I babysat ALOT! and I worked at the Willis Linen Company where mom worked. I worked in the office or in the back wherever they needed me.  But when I was actually old enough to legally work (16) I worked 3 to 5 hours everyday after school washing and folding school towels.  These people at this place were like a second family. My ward, My Mesa 3rd ward being my first.   Note here...that Gas is SUPER EXPENSIVE now and the lines are monstrous even waiting hours sometimes just to buy gas.  If I drove moms car too many miles I would have to sit in one of those lines to replace the gas I'd used.  I remember it being ridiculous.    
Mom Ricky and I went on trips in this car to Texas to meet Kathys family (Timmys wife), and to Rocky Point to see Sis and meet Jorge.  Now that's a funny story!   We went to surprise my sister, she now lived and worked in Puerto Penasco Mexico.  She worked for the Shrimp plant U of A ran on the beach there.  She lived in Cholla Bay.  What was my Mom thinking? We drove down after she got off work one Friday night when we got there it was dark the roads are sandy and it's amazing we didn't get stuck some where! Anyway we found her we knock on the door to her little blue and silver trailer and - yep! she was surprised!!! We quickly met the love of her life and he went running on down the road! It was a picture I never forgot.  But now I see my mom was heart broken and for a year or so I see nothing in her journals or writing. She felt like a failure all of us dumb kids were not being who she wanted us to be.  Her example of not ever giving up, of always going to church, always giving 100% to her calling and her visiting teaching and loving me unconditionally, holding FHE and saying prayers with me - she will be blessed for that, even if if at the time I wasn't paying attention.   Anyway I digress.  Rocky Point was fun and seeing Sis was so exciting (I was 16!) she took us to her work, we went on a tour, we went to the bars, the restaurants, we went shopping for deals and we shot off fireworks.  A bottle rocket blew up in the face!  Rocky Point was where it was at! 
I had gone out on a few dates with Jim and I really liked his sister Sue. That was one of my problems, I loved the families of the guys I dated. Anyway... His Dad died and he went to California he sent me these beautiful flowers. Merry Christmas!  Not too much after that.

Betty and Stan Abbott lived in the trailer court with us across the street, by now Timmy is living there but I haven't mentioned them much and I just want to say here we love them.  Betty was "like a sister to me" she is "always there for me and she listens and gives advice that is prayerful and kind". To compliment her Stan is a good guy and nice to Mom and I.  Betty was my first beehive teacher, Camp Mom, and friend.  I Never gave her any trouble!!! ;)

Jane
Janeece Powell moved into the ward my junior year. We probably didn't hit it off at first. Me (I'm sure) doing all the judging - her being blonde and from California and all!!!  She and Jane became very close very fast.  It was the first time the 4 of us girls had had another girl and it mixed up the mojo for a bit, not that it wasn't already a little haywire us being in high school and girls and all!!!   Sheila was the straight laced I've got my life together one. She was a rock, she held us together and I am sure prayed for all of us to get our acts together!      Jane she was the brain the school is important and I do well and am involved in anything "greek", (if in High School there would have been anything greek)!  She dated Jim for a little bit and so did I. She and I had lots of "life experiences" to bond over.  She is a great friend and really made an effort to get me involved and keep me out of trouble. Some of us, just don't listen or appreciate the good friends that we have.
Shelia
Debra Lynn Harper
Debbie well Deb, she was my buddy, my pal. I loved her and her family. I spent alot of time at her house.  Who was Debbie? she was the take charge point everyone in the right direction girl.  She dated Dale Stark and so did I!  In fact it was probablly our biggest fight ever! I thought I was "going out" with him and she showed up at the Seminary Social with his class ring on! Really Kel, how many irons did you have in the fire!!! How was I mad at her? I don't know but I was, but wait,  I thought I was dating Ricky, no wait was it Jim I'm pretty sure I didn't know what I wanted, I only knew what I had wasn't right and I didn't know how to get away from it...and thus kept searching for Mr. Right.    Speaking of Mr. Right, the other thing I didn't note earlier is that My Mr Ricky Right would never take me to a dance or in fact to anything "public" and we fought at every dance we ever went too.  
Please note I have mention several red flags in this blog, Give heed!


So When Jim asked me to go to Prom caring flowers and promised a good time, I said YES!  It was a great evening and we looked good!  He also asked me to marry him - ring and all! I am not sure what happened maybe it scared me and I ran??? I do that!  Once Jim and a bunch of us went out when I was suppose to be at mutual when he took me home mom grabbed me out of that car and kickkkkkked my butt all the way into the house! For heavens sake I was 17! Come to think of it, maybe that is the reason!!! Maybe he ran! 
Tami Lea and Tim - Timmy and Kathys Kids pay a visit.

Aunt El writes... Feb '74

Dear Kelly Sue - I wish you could only know and realize what I feel in my heart to tell you. I had such a strong desire to tell you a few things when I was there but I couldn't and didn't and can't yet express to you my feelings.  I always hated and resented my mother and my sister preaching gospel to me - yes or anyone else for that matter - why? because I wasn't doing or living the way I should, I knew it, but I didn't do anything about it. I am sure I never had and still don't have the knowledge of the gospel that even you have, however this is not excuse. But how I pray that you will have the desire to go to the Temple with your companion to be married, when you get married - not a year or two or more later but at the time you decide on. I also pray that the Lord will give you the strength to control your emotions and your passion and that you will find a priesthood holder to help you fulfill this great privilege. Ah how I wish you and your Mother could have witnessed George O'Briens marriage by Elder Marion D. Hanks ... It was beautiful!!!
  Kelly Sue please pray sincerely, earnestly and humble for the great blessing.  I promise you it is worth it.  I love you Kelly Sue and am concerned for you.  Be wise avoid addictive habits, please run the other way from them.  Love Aunt El
P.S. Please don't be mad! I plead with you as I was pleaded to but Kelly Sue I didn't listen - please profit by someones
 wrong doings.     Love You!!!! Aunt El.

Oh have a mentioned that my sister is pregnant? Parents not happy, but very excepting of a new grandchild.  My junior year was a mess at home. I am sure Timmy had done something and was somewhere he shouldn't have been, He is divorced now.  The kids came to see us.  I love them.  I  took them and we went to parks and movies and horse back riding while they were here.  I want to be a Good Aunt!  Tom, well Tom is a no show pretty much all the time. He and his ranches, rodeos and romances!  I'm not sure now if it's Val or Nanci????

No comments: