Friday, November 09, 2012

THE MEDAL



My back, buttocks, and the back of my upper legs are covered with blood.  I am tired, stinky with sweat (some of it from fear) and all I wanted was a beer and not to think of the last thirteen hours.  I have the beer, but I can't stop the thinking.

Yesterday had been a pretty normal day until about 21:30. We were scheduled to fly just normal resupply the next day and most all of the pilots were partying at the Officer's Club when the Commanding Officer came in and gave us a new briefing.  We were going to make an assault into an area about ten miles away known as Iron Triangle.  Everyone immediately orded more whiskey and beer.  Even when just flying over the area, no one flew below 1500 feet.  The Viet Cong and the NVA were deeply entrenched with heavy weapons and had an extensive underground bunker system in the forest.  Any assaut into this area was extremely hazardous to a person's health.  Naturally I was scheduled to fly and lead my section.

In my section I had a young 1st Lieutenant whom I will call Lt. D.S.   Lt. D.S. was a career officer and any chance to get good marks or some medals was eagerly sought after by him.  He was not scheduled to fly the next day, much to his disappointment.  All of us knew that tomorrow's assault would be what we called a MEDAL DAY.  Lt D.S. did not have any medals and badly wanted some.  He saw his chance.  He asked me if he could fly in my place in the morning.  As he had just passed his aircraft commanders test.  I checked with the C.O., he said OK, much to me relief.  I already had all the medals I wanted or needed. I continued to party.

At 6:30 the next morning, this morning, the flight took off with Lt. D.S. flying in my aircraft in my seat.  As I had not gone to sleep until 05:00 I did not see them off.  At 07:00 the Operations Officer woke me up and asked me if I could fly.  When I said yes, he told me to get dressed and to get my butt into my aircraft.  I went and I went fast.
When I arrived at the flight line, the crew chief and gunner had just laid Lt. D.D.'s body on the ground while the co-pilot kept the helicopter running.  The graves detail would pick up the body later.  We didn't even have time to wash out the aircraft or the seat.
It is now thirteen hours later, I am tired, the beer tastes good, I am still thinking, and here's a toast to Lt. D.S. he got THE MEDAL. 

It was the beginning of the end for me


Tim McCoy

No comments: