Wednesday, August 07, 2013

I "POaST" about my Life --- 1966 ...

We are who we are!

for an activity mom sent this for the class to guess who I am 

I loved these friends! I can still name most of them!
4th grade

I don't have a picture but this year Urlene did some Baton twirling and wore costumes and everything!!! She went to Flagstaff with Jim and Beverly for the 4th of July 

We moved!  across the road into a Big Trailer!  10x 50 - SPACIOUS!!!! My "Home" til I married!
Tom in our new yard! NOTE - IRONED White shirt and Wranglers standard.
I was the girl at home doing the ironing, wash and cleaning house!!!
Timmy and Kathy are married
Judyann Shovels snow at Aunt Els
She had surgery and the removed her thyroid, meds for life now.  I love my sister.  I follow her everywhere that she will let me!  I love her life and all the friends and "fun times" that she has.  I want that too.  She has a real life.
Tom Rodeo
July 1966 I went to stay with my Grandma in Blanding Utah.  My mom was sick so I kinda was "sent away", but I loved going there.  I loved being with Grandma and Grandpa Lyman in there little house and going to all the Blanding events.  I loved my cousins and especially spending time at the Smiths'.  Donna took me to the pool. Ned went hiking with me and taught me how to play chess.  We went to parades and tried to catch greaseeee pigs and slid down the flag pole all greaseeee!  I also liked to go to Aunt Maryanns; I loved spending time with Lynda, Lisa and Leslie!!!  We worked in the garden and home made bottled root beer!  It was awesome to go there.  But I did always miss Mom and the family!  Mom writes me letters telling me to find a ride to salt lake if I want to go see Aunt El and that if she can't find me a ride home I need to ask around if anyone is going to mesa (really? I'm 9!).  Aunt El writes me letters here and worries about me all the time, I love her.  She counsels me to "Be happy, cheerful and pleasant and Remember your prayers and be thankful for loved ones and all you have. I do love you and pray that you may always be a good girl."
the drive thru monument valley and indian country was long and hot very dry but the colors were fascinating to me and the new pick up trucks and bags of government food left on the door steps very confusing.  I remember always asking why do they have new trucks if they have to be given bags of food!!!!
This is Tami Lea
we went to visit Grandma Gladys and Grandpa Lyman in Blanding with the new McCoys!
Sept. 1966   -   it was a SUPER trip with fun memories.  Permission was given for Timmy to adopt Tami by Jim White.

The birth of Michael Wayne McCoy to Kathy and Timmy was tragic. He lived only a few hours. 
Oct 1966  The story is he asked for help from the Church and no one showed. It was yet another step on his ladder of bitterness and a jaded attitude toward goodness and light.

as for favorites --
Ricky hamilton, Linda Stahl, Brandon McQueen we used to play like we were "The Monkees"  

My sister and her friend who is also like a sister Marcia Cosentino are now going to Young Arizona for the "good times".  Sometimes she takes me.  I love it when she takes me places with her.  She is way too much fun!!!


For FHE we did a test to see if everyone knew each other very well...
Daddy favorite color - red
favorite food - steak
favorite TV program - Whats My Line?
favorite sport or game - Horse races (who knew!)
favorite song - How Many
Favorite Bible Story - Moe (I'm supposing that is Moses!)
Favorite friend - Richard
Tom favorite color - Turquoise Blue
favorite food - steak
favorite TV program - Virginia
favorite sport or game - Wrestling   Favorite Song - Wayword Winds Favorite Bible Story - David and Goliath 
Kelly Sue Red, Chicken Noodle Soup, Munsters, Casper, Joseph Smith First Prayer, Daniel, Urlene!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SaeWh3h8Fg


If you are still here I will add these two stories of the 4th grade. I loved Mrs. Hunsaker she was my teacher.  I remember that I thought she cared about me, she taught me life lessons about race, religion and education.  
  • One time (I don't know what I did) she slapped my hands with the yard stick and the yard stick broke.  So she made me stand in front of the class with glue and rubberbands holding the yard stick - the attempt I guess was to put the yard stick back together.  It was super embarrassing to stand for the rest of the day in front of the class trying to hold that yard stick together. With a most outrageous punishment like this the person does not remember what was done but only the punishment.  
  • Another time I had been watching The Dating Game the girl asks 3 bachelors questions and then picks one to go out on a date with.  I Loved this show! Well one day Greg did something to me on the play ground I obviously didn't approve of and I called him a bastard, I seriously thought I was saying bachelor. I probably  heard this name around the house somewhere (the language did get colorful at times)! Anyway...Mrs. Hunsaker heard me and took me to the janitors room made me bite into the bar of soap that was sitting on the sink and washed my "bad bad mouth and all the naughty words away".  Needless to say I know the difference between the two words now and refrain from using either as much as possible!  

I'll record this story here, but I believe it to be the next school year, my brother Timmy came home from Vietnam and was in Georgia our story that we got was "he stopped at a stop sign and big black men pulled him from his car and beat the hell out of him".  I told Mrs. Hunsaker and she seemed to imply thats how "they are".  I was horrified, my friends Greg and Annette and Clarence were black and all I could think was 'they aren't mean just because they are black - that is ridiculous". 
I remember loosing confidence in her and didn't go to her for counsel any more.

No comments: