Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Who DO you think you are?

what's an "ite"?
"...The downward slide of this civilization began to pick up momentum. The division of society into classes resulted in irreparable tears in the social fabric. In A.D. 231 there appeared what Mormon calls the “great division among the people” (4 Ne. 1:35). We might refer to this as the “-ite” phase of New World apostasy, with the Nephites, Jacobites, Josephites, and Zoramites, on the one hand, preserving the true worship of Christ, and, on the other hand, the Lamanites, Lemuelites, and Ishmaelites “wilfully rebelling against the gospel of Christ” (4 Ne. 1:38)".  Andrew skinner Nov. 2000

This is one of my biggest fears...division and war amongst the people that I live with, by, even around, my neighborhood, my church, family member vs family member.  An ideal of civil war freaks me out, I just don't know how people live in it, how they survive in times of war on the homefront.   Yet spiritually I send myself, my husband my kids AND now, my grandkids out into it (the world) every day - how will we survive what do we do to survive.
Maybe to begin with we could in times of civility and peace get along with each other, say hi to the neighbor, take 7Up to the sick - maybe just support one another friends and family alike.  I had an experience that has weighed heavily on my mind that I want to document and hope to look back on and learn from cuz even these many months later Im still trying to digest it.

Our family had a luncheon after a special occasion.  There was in attendance a boy, (a young man) his Mother, his step Mother, A "foster type" Mother and a "friend" type Mother.  These Women all had the best interest of this boy at heart yet none of them could communicate with each other.  Why is it?  Why Can't, even in a good situation people really drop the walls, release the reserve, genuinely be happy with each other for another person.  Must we designate ourselves as "ites", giving ourselves titles, conditions, roles to play that we indignantly think someone else can not do or live up to, thinking that we are the "Big Wheel" and that with out us this (whatever it is) cannot go on?  How sad it is that we are so prideful that we can't join in harmony for someone else without jealousy and judgement.  No hugs, no conversation, no pictures, no well wishes just contention.  How sad is that?  let me tell you SAD :(

so how to "fix it"? how to overcome such a issue as class, race, one uping ...blah blah blah  I would like to delete segregating names from my vocabulary and encourage you to do so too.  Next time you feel "better than someone else", remember the time that you didn't and don't let anyone ever feel that way in your presence, Im going to try to do the same.


Recently I heard Henry B. Eyring say; It takes a team!  "caring for those in need takes a team — a loving and unified society".


reference:
Pamela J. Reid, “No More -Ites,” New Era, Jan 2001, 42
Henry B. Eyring  Our Hearts Knit as one Oct. 2008, &
Nov. 2012 "The Caregiver

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Thanks for sharing! Definitely something to think about. Pride is a killer.